We’re pretty good at not wasting food, and that can really cut down on grocery bills.
Here’s some suggestions.
- Put things in the fridge in clear containers so you can see them. Make the containers easy to get into too.
- Put some fruit or veggies out at room temperature, but not more than you will eat. Some folks don’t like eating cold fruit so it is easier to snack on it if it is out.
- Bring dinner the night before for lunch the next day
- Leftovers night once a week
- Cold pizza is not the only leftover dinner you can eat for breakfast
- Have odds and ends over pasta with a sauce
- Have odds and ends over rice with a sauce or as fried rice
- Have odds and ends in an omelet
- Have odds and ends on a pizza
- Menu plan, being realistic about how many times a week you are going to cook
- Use the freezer. If you’re not going to eat something before it goes bad, freeze it! Later when you have no time, it’ll be a nice way to avoid ordering pizza two nights in a row when you’re out of cash anyway.
- Date stuff in the freezer and take it out to defrost and eat! If you have a hard time actually eating stuff you’ve frozen and taken out, package things in one-person-sizes and take it for lunch where you have fewer options and it will get eaten.
- Pick through berries/fruit etc. once you get it home or if it’s been sitting in your fridge for a while to remove any moldy pieces before they infect the rest.
- Work hard to process things that can go bad before they go bad, even if it means cooking them and sticking them in the freezer.
How do you keep from wasting food? Any good suggestions?