Just in time for Christmas shopping! Or Hanukkah or Solstice! Or, if you just like to look at pretty covers…
(for your shopping convenience, we’ve tried to link to the FIRST book in each series… the first hit’s always free!)
In no particular order.
1. The Tiffany Aching books, and indeed, all of Discworld by Terry Pratchett.
British fantasy humor at its finest. And oh so literary. More in-jokes than xkcd. Delicious! And the hero and heroine usually (but not always) get together just like in an Agatha Christie. :)
5. Deanna Raybourn’s Lady Julia Grey books. A spunky Victorian heroine that we identify with. She is very much ahead of her time, but in a way that is believable. This goes more into romantic suspense and murder. Barbara Michaels wishes she could write these!
8. Chrestomanci books (great for children and adults alike! JK Rowling has nothing on Diana Wynne Jones).
I fell in love as a child, and am happy that these continue. Long live Diana Wynne Jones. Please don’t die ever.
11. I wish Carolyn Stevermer wrote more. A College of Magics, A Scholar of Magics, and her joint work… all delightful. If she wrote a book a year or every two years even, the world would be a better place.
13. Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Just… incredible. Storytelling, art, fable, myth, dreams… “groundbreaking” hardly describes it. This series will change your life. Also an excellent start for an adult who doesn’t know where to dive in with graphic novels. Not for kids. Get the fancy Absolute Sandman omnibus editions if you can afford it and find it — it really does look great. If not, start with Preludes and Nocturnes.
14. the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. Do you like puns? Have you read a LOT of books? Do you like books about people going into books and interacting with the characters? What if there was an entire connected book underground? Wonderful.
15. Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn: This started out like popcorn, but has gotten better and better as the series progresses. I regret sending earlier copies to the cousin! They’re about werewolves and vampires and stuff. But good!
What are your favorite series?