- My subconscious is ridiculous. I was reading on cloud’s blog about how one-handed reading is essential for a new mom, and I thought, “If I had just given birth I could totally read all the Georgette Heyer I wanted in the hospital!”
- I like oatmeal in the morning. You can’t use quick-oats… they taste like sawdust. I like to throw in a handful of dried fruit (dried cherries are my favorite, but often I’ll just have raisins), put in half a cut of rolled oats, one cup of water, then zap for 2 and a half minutes. If I’m feeling feisty I’ll sprinkle with pecans and cinnamon. Nom.
- Little kitty is vehemently anti-tape. She cannot stand for it and must needs destroy it.
- DC has been enjoying kindergarten! Very different from Montessori, but ze is adaptable. The oldest child in the class is actually only a year and a few days older than DC, and the youngest is less than a month younger. 5/8 of the children are early entrants. The first grade class DC is doing math and reading in appears to be using a second grade math text book.
- It’s funny how I was reading today in the teaching tactics book about color coding for misbehavior (something that probably won’t fly with college students) and DC came home talking about how one of the first graders went from green to yellow for yelling in class. Definitely different from Montessori.
- Recent conversation:
Me: You’re probably deft with a soldering iron
P: it’s actually been quite a while since I used one. But it’s probably like riding a bike…with a really hot stick in one hand.
- Irony: Writing a note on a student’s homework that they need to be much better in terms of presentation… in crayon.
- I just noticed that all the academic bloggers we interact with are either science or humanities. Not another social scientist in the bunch. (Well, except maybe Sexademic, but I doubt she reads us back.) I wonder why that is.
- Why did someone else’s cat throw up on my front porch? really? Who DOES that? I suspect the large and curious Siamese across the street. Seriously, they couldn’t do it in the grass?