We here at Grumpy Rumblings know that you thirst to discover our wisdom in regards to charitable giving. At this time of year, a lot of people, including us, donate more money than we do year-round. What follows are suggestions for you, the reader, of things that are awesome (and a few that aren’t). You can also give to these charities in someone else’s name as a gift for the person who has everything.
Recommended charities that could use a little moolah:
- Girl Scouts of America. Their cookies are tasty and the organization has always emphasized diversity.
- Goodwill. If you don’t have any money, clean out your closet.
- Planned Parenthood. Providing sexual and reproductive healthcare for men and women — not just birth control & abortions but all sorts of vital health care and education. Every child a wanted child.
- Child’s Play. Won’t someone think of the children? Toys for kids in hospitals is unassailable. When someone said gamers were violent and antisocial, these guys founded a charity.
- Heifer International. You can donate cute baby animals and know that HI emphasizes training for self-sufficiency and community collaboration. If you do it through this link, you can even get cool stuff from fantasy author Pat Rothfuss (which, by the way, go buy all his books right now).
- Your local…
- library needs your donations and probably your political advocacy, too, if you wanna write a letter
- food bank
- animal shelters need your time and goods as well as money
- school scholarship fund
- Donors Choose. #2 is really into this one. You can fund math and science projects for inner-city kids, how cool is that? Or really anything you want … do it or the pigeon will shank you.
- Reading is Fundamental. Because books are good and everyone should have access.
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer — they help support and advocate for women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. They helped #2’s mother with the emotional aspects of her recovery.
- (a further list from Scalzi’s blog is here)
- Boy Scouts of America. Their stance on homosexuality is unacceptable.
- Salvation Army. Also hates the gays, is anti-gay marriage, and says that homosexual people should be celibate. (Look it up if you don’t believe me!) [Disclosure: #2 donated when the SA were the first folks to get to Katrina victims, but that was a special occasion. They still send her lots of mail.]
- Susan G. Komen foundation participates in Pinkwashing and is a big offender in what Twisty calls the Breast Cancer Brand Woman. Cancer is degrading enough already.
Are there any worthy causes our readers would like to plug? Have at it in the comments!