1. Emergency fund
2. Summer salary savings
3. Claim DDA reimbursements (generally there’s also travel reimbursements on their way, but these are filed right away and are highly unpredictable, and sometimes the IRS gives us money back when we file, though not always) and for smaller emergencies, credit card rewards.
4. Taxable stocks
5. Roth IRA principal (hopefully we wouldn’t have to touch this)
6. With a penalty: IRAs, 529, etc. I can’t see us doing this though.
7. Sell stuff. Do freelance writing. Though these have delays. Similarly grants can provide summer salary, but that’s going to have major delays.
8. Banks of mom and dad. Middle-class privilege! (I could probably also tap my sister in a true emergency.)
9. Credit cards… (if it’s really short term, as in, I could pay off before interest accrued, I’d tap these before stocks), Home equity loan, I dunno…
1. My savings account
2. My other savings account
3. My partner
4. credit cards
5. some of my richer friends
6. my dad & former stepmom
7. my in-laws, uh… then…
8. wider family, cousins, aunts, uncles