In order of importance (and assuming under $5K/mo):
1. I will be able to get enough sleep at night– no thin walls, no cigarette smoke. (Also non-crazy landlord, but how does one screen for that?)
2. At least 2br.
3. In unit laundry. Dishwasher. Reasonable appliances (though we can always buy cheap ones).
4. In a decent to good school district and DC1 can stay grade-skipped (or they want to test before keeping the skip– I’m fine with that too).
5. We can keep at least our main kitty, little kitty.
6. A reasonable commute to: Sabbatical Uni, DC1’s school, DC2’s preschool, given that we will only have one car.
7. Walkable neighborhood that includes a playground.
8. Allows us to take Nice kitty
9. 3 br
10. Walking distance to a library
11. Walking distance to shops
12. Excellent schools (as opposed to decent)
13. Driveway or garage space, not just street parking.
14. Out door play area such as yard.
16. More than 1000 sq ft.
17. Nice appliances.
18. Nice extras (countertops etc.)
19. Fruit or nut trees.
20. A price considerably lower than 5K/mo.
What are your priorities when it comes to a rental? Do they differ for long-term vs. short-term? What am I forgetting?