Here we’re talking about whatever the current guilt-inducing fads are. I would give examples of what they currently are, but the truth is, I don’t know! But like 5 years ago they were things like: not bringing store-bought baked goods places, using the right kind of sunscreen, avoiding BPA, etc. I think there were a lot more, but that’s what I remember. (Disclaimer, we still use the old-fashioned neurotic fad approved sunblock, because DC2 is allergic to conventional kinds.)
There are many other paths, but here’s one. Most of this stuff is really easy to avoid if you don’t live in NYC or the ritzy suburbs of Los Angeles (or similar enclaves). But if you do live in those places, you can still do the following:
- Don’t read anything about parenting (mothering) on NYTimes ever
- Stay away from parenting (mommy) forums
- If you read parenting books pick them carefully (read: evidence based) and remember that one size doesn’t fit all
- Send your kids to a (high quality, obvs) daycare that caters to working parents.
- Avoid anxiety-inducing blogs
- Avoid anxiety-inducing playgroups
And there ya go. No more worrying about pointless parenting stuff.
Do you get swept up into ridiculous parenting anxieties? The kinds that come with, “worried about other people judging me” attached? If so, where do they come from? If not, how do you avoid them?