- Make sure that we’re ok if DH loses his job.
- Continue maxing out our retirement.
- Be ready to replace one or both of our cars. [Update: better be just one!]
- Be ready for smaller emergencies and expected home maintenance.
- Pay 100% for the kids’ colleges.
- (MAYBE): Save up enough money to move to Paradise permanently(?)
We are well on our way for #1-5, but #6 seems near impossible. We could achieve #6 with some luck and some sacrifice, and if we wanted to move there with employment, sooner makes more sense than later given age discrimination concerns. (Though perhaps we’d be ok with age discrimination given our deep networks?) Plus… I like my job and my colleagues and may never actually *want* to do #6. But the future is a long time and many things can change (indeed, the location of Paradise may move given global warming, tax changes, and whatever our friends decide to do as they age and retire).
What are (some of) YOUR long-term money goals?