- We have a ton of money posts and a ton of Ask the Grumpies, but these Wednesday posts are a bit harder to come up with. I guess all I think about these days is money and work and whatever interesting questions Grumpy Nation comes up with for us? I’ve been dipping into our archives for ideas and it’s a bit crazy how irrelevant or not applicable so many of these things are now.
- The oldest abandoned post is called “On the Importance of Moxy.” It only has a title and it was started in 2010. I’m pretty sure it was about faking it until you make it and how you shouldn’t put yourself down because people start believing it. But now I know more about the double-bind that women are in and how hard it is to get that humble yet confident thing right. And the literature says to praise other women and have other people praise you, but what happens there is that sometimes other people don’t praise you back and then they end up getting resources because the powers that be think you’ll be ok with that. I’ve gotten so negative! Not just cynical, but also negative. Maybe I’ll delete that one. Still– don’t put yourself down. That never helps because people do believe you.
- The next one is about Nice to Live vs. Nice to Visit (also 2010) and I think that was about how nice it is to visit some places (Boston, LA) but not as great to live there. 4 years of Trump has made me rethink what it means for a place to be nice to live. Though I still am worried about the unhealthy body images that LA indoctrinates people with.
- The last 2010 post was a Mini-rant that I thought for sure I’d just use sometime when we needed a post. Maybe I’ll do that even though the thing it’s ranting about isn’t as big a deal as it seemed to be 10 years ago when unhealthily messed-up “raw/honest” etc. was in. With picture-perfect influencers being “in” right now it’s a bit outdated. Still, there may be a backlash brewing. Maybe you’ll see it next week! (But also maybe not!)
- After deleting or scheduling those 2010 posts we now have 142 items in drafts (not including this one which is scheduled).
Do you have any thoughts on places that are nice to live vs. nice to visit? How important do you think moxy is? Have you worked on not putting yourself down or does it come naturally to you? Are you interested in me going through 2011 next?