Because of flight prices, the rest of the family and I didn’t completely overlap on their family vacation/my summer conference. So I ended up spending several days at home by myself while they were still in the midwest enjoying cooler summer weather. It turns out there are some things that I have never had to do for myself since getting settled and I don’t actually know how.
- Making popcorn. I grew up with an air popper. DH prefers to make it on the stovetop. My friend, hearing my plight, sent me instructions for how to make it in the microwave with a paper bag, but I haven’t tried it yet.
- Making coffee. I grew up with instant or one of those regular drip coffee pots that uses already ground coffee. We only have whole beans at home and my choice of french press/siphon/mochapot/whoknows. I don’t even know where to start on DH’s burr grinder.
- Watching Netflix. So… I haven’t had to set this up myself since before DC2 was born and that was at least a couple game systems ago (we use game systems to watch things on a projector). Normally with DH home I would be able to just borrow his phone or get one of the kids to set it up for me on the projector. Now we have two game systems and I’m not sure which one is connected to Netflix or how to get there.
- Taking out the trash/recycling. Um… I haven’t had to do this since we lived in an apartment. No clue what the days are and I only have sort of a foggy idea of where we keep the bins (there’s a mysterious door on the other side of the garage that I suspect leads to the dog run). I suspect the blue one is recycling and the green (? brown?) one trash, but :shrug emoji:
- Picking up groceries from curbside. For this one I know how to do it but I can’t actually do it. I can order them but I can’t pick them up because the account is connected to DH’s phone. I would have to make a new account connected to my phone. This is not a problem with Target curbside where I can tell it which phone number to use and I think we can both login to the same app at the same time.
Are there things you ought to know how to do but don’t?