Things I’ve been eating:
- Stonyfield farm plain yogurt with fruit, trail mix, and crumpled up puffed brown rice from Lundberg farms brown rice cakes.
- Spaghetti sauce … over beans.
- Cream cheese on brown rice cakes.
- Boursin on tortilla chips– this is amazing. Sadly in a few weeks I won’t be able to eat tortilla chips anymore because they’re not gylcemically balanced enough for third trimester. (Btw, even though boursin is soft, it should be ok because it’s more like cream cheese than like brie in terms of pathogens.)
- Breakfast burritos on corn tortillas (ditto on the soon unable to eat)
- Cheap brown rice sushi from a place in town that is totally like the Subway Sandwiches of Sushi.
- Annie Chun’s Mai fun brown rice noodles. In stir-fry! In soup! But not with spaghetti sauce as that would be wrong.
- Most (but not all) of the Mexican places in town put flour in their cheese sauces. It will be a long time before I eat out at a Mexican place again.
- Many places in town lightly dust fish fillets with flour before grilling.
- Even though buckwheat flour isn’t wheat, I can only eat four bites or so of a 100% buckwheat flour pancake before my body refuses and sends the signal to my brain: What are you doing?!?! Are you crazy? Then whenever I think about pancakes my body tries to decide whether or not to feel queasy, but when I don’t think about it I feel fine, until someone posts on her blog about chocolate chip pancakes and my body starts going hey, shouldn’t we be feeling queasy by now?
- But I don’t have the same problem with buckwheat waffles.
- Most gluten-free pizzas are DISGUSTING. Also really expensive. (The pesto one we tried wasn’t so bad though… but not really worth $9 for a personal size.) Though if there were a Lou Malnati’s in town I’d totes order his gluten-free pizza (formerly his Atkin’s pizza)– sausage crust is awesome.
- 100% buckwheat soba is also pretty gross.
- I cannot reuse the pasta pot without cleaning it first, even if it just boiled spaghetti.
- There’s a local cheesemaker that makes amazing raw cows and sheep milk cheeses. Or so I’m told by the rest of my family members.
- Ethnic Gourmet only has one brown rice entree left, everything else has been switched to white rice.
- Grocery store just started stocking a tonne of new ben and jerry’s flavors… they ALL either have wheat or they have no fat. *whimper*